Training commences with a 4 day Basic Intensive Training workshop and further study can continue at the individual’s choice. More extensive training deepens the understanding and integration of the concepts. The training provides opportunities for personal reflection and application of choice theory in education and counselling contexts, leading and managing people, mental health and wellbeing, personal growth and relationships.
CHOICE THEORY / REALITY THERAPY TRAINING
Glasser Australia offers a comprehensive five-part sequential course of study leading to Reality Therapy Certification for those who are interested in pursuing an extensive training.
The five training stages are:
- Basic Intensive Training
- Basic Practicum
- Advanced Intensive Training
- Advanced Practicum
- Certification Training
A minimum of 18 months between attendance at a Basic Intensive Training and a Certification Training is required
No educational prerequisite is required for the study of Choice Theory and Reality Therapy Certification.
Stage 1 Basic Intensive Training (BIT) (Duration: minimum of 27 contact hours)
The Basic Intensive Training is the first step in the certification process and is taught by William Glasser International approved Faculty.
Basic Intensive Training Content:
- Participants will gain a basic understanding of Choice Theory, Reality Therapy and Lead Management
- Participants will be trained in Choice Theory and its applications using Lead Management principles, so that a participant not only gains a theoretical understanding of these concepts and skills, but also experiences these applications in practice.
- Participants will be taught the value of questioning techniques ways with working with people through a combination of lectures,demonstration role-plays, practice, experimental exercises and discussions of Dr Glasser’s ideas.
Stage 2 Basic Practicum (BP) (Duration: 30 hours * Prerequisite: Basic Intensive Training)
The Basic Practicum is the second step of your journey in the certification process. You have gained basic knowledge and skills in your Basic Intensive Training. During the Basic Practicum you will deepen your understanding of the newly acquired skills from the Basic Intensive Training.
You will be coached and mentored in applying this to your daily work and life. The practicum consists of a minimum of 30 hours, of which 15 hours must be of face-to-face direct contact with your Practicum Supervisor.
Basic Practicum Content:
- Participants will become familiar and comfortable with Choice Theory, Reality Therapy and
- Emphasis is placed on role-plays, casework and personal application.
- Participants learn the value of journaling and other self-evaluation tools.
- Participants are expected to read more of Dr Glasser’s books (e.g., Counselling with Choice Theory: The New Reality Therapy)
- Participants will be required to submit case studies demonstrating their utilization of these ideas in their everyday life situations.
Stage 3 Advanced Intensive Training (AIT) (Duration: minimum of 27 hours * Prerequisite: Basic Practicum)
The Advanced Intensive Training is the third step in the process leading to Certification which brings participants to a higher level of experience and understanding of Dr Glasser’s work and ideas.
Participants need to be endorsed by their Practicum Supervisor to attend this training.
Advanced Intensive Training Content:
- Participants will study Dr Glasser’s concepts at a more advanced level.
- Participants will participate in extensive role-plays.
- Participants will increase their knowledge of interrelationships of the various components of the process.
Stage 4 Advanced Practicum (AP) (Duration: 30 hours * Prerequisite: Advanced Intensive Training)
You gained more in-depth knowledge and refined your skills in the Advanced Intensive Training. You will be coached and mentored in applying this to your daily work and life at a deeper level. The Advanced Practicum consists of at least 30 hours, of which 15 hours must be of face-to-face direct contact with your Practicum Supervisor. You will undertake a Quality work piece to demonstrate your knowledge and appreciation of Dr Glasser’s work in an area of interest to you.
Advanced Practicum Content:
- Participants prepare for Certification Training.
- Participants read more of Dr Glasser’s works.
- Participants concentrate on more intensive practice as helpee and helper.
- Focus is on, learning how to give constructive feedback to other participants and self-evaluation.
- Participants will develop and practice their own 15 minute presentation (Quality Work Piece), which willteach some aspect of Dr Glasser’s concepts (participants will be required to present their 15 minute presentation to their Certification group)
Stage 5 Certification (Duration: Minimum of 30 hours * Prerequisite: completed Advanced Practicum)
The final step in the process leading to Choice Theory/ Reality Therapy Certified (CTRTC) is the attendance at Certification training. This part of the programme brings participants together to gain new knowledge and demonstrate the knowledge and skills learned throughout the previous trainings. Together with people from various backgrounds, you will share experiences and short presentations, and learn new ways and ideas to implement and teach Choice Theory, Reality Therapy and Lead Management. You will be the recipient of a certificate and receive the designation of Choice Theory/ Reality Therapy Certified (CTRTC).
Participants must be endorsed by their Advanced Practicum Supervisor to participate in a Certification Training. Participants are required to have a different instructor with whom they have not worked before.
A minimum of 18 months between attendance at a Basic Intensive Training and a Certification Training is also required.
Certification Training Content:
- Participants have the opportunity to demonstrate knowledge and to expand one’s learning
- Participants demonstrate, self-evaluation, and feedback from their peers and instructor
- Participants are required to demonstrate their skills in using Reality Therapy to deal with familiar and unfamiliar clients
- Participants are required to role-play as both helper and helpee
- Participants will present their 15 minute presentation (Quality Work Piece), teaching some aspect of Choice theory, Reality Therapy and Lead Management
Reality Therapy Certification is the recognition by Glasser Australia that a person has completed the certification process and demonstrated knowledge and skill in Choice Theory, Reality Therapy and Lead Management. Those completing the Certification process are entitled to use the designation of “Reality Therapy Certified”. Use of “Certified Reality Therapist” is only appropriate where the individual is entitled, under licensing laws of the jurisdiction in which he/she resides, to use the term “Therapist”: The Institute does not confer this title upon anyone.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The study of Choice Theory, Reality Theory and Lead Management has been proven useful to many individuals in enriching their personal lives.
In the professional setting, our trainings are designed for professionals who are engaged in a people-oriented work environment. Among our students are counsellors, teachers, administrators, social workers, nurses, therapists, probation officers and business leaders ~ anyone who manages, teaches, counsels or supervises others.
Much as the concepts of Choice Theory, Reality Theory and Lead Management are not difficult to learn, supervised training is required in order to achieve a good practical grasp of the approach.
Development points can be obtained for the various stages of training. Contact Glasser Australia or your professional organisation to determine eligibility.
BEYOND BASIC CERTIFICATION
Glasser Australia encourages continuing professional development after certification through membership. Being a member, one can stay current in study and skills through participation in workshops, meetings and conventions organised by Glasser Australia.
Glasser Australia also offers pathways for individual who want to attain faculty status within William Glasser International.
Find out more about Faculty Programs
Further information about the ideas behind what we teach can be found using the drop-down menu
For information about training in these ideas, explore the TRAINING section
For information about the evidence base of Choice Theory and Reality Therapy see https://www.wglasserinternational.org/research/evid-based/